"The will of God-nothing less, nothing more, nothing else." F.E. Marsh



Saturday, May 11, 2013

Bone graft surgery

Going to honest here.  For us, this surgery sucks.  Worst so far. This is her 8th surgery, including two on her eyes.  Molly Meis cleft is the widest on the spectrum of clefts, so maybe that's why it seems so bad.  I have heard from people that its not too bad.  That doesn't seem our case.  I feel so bad for her and cant do much to help.  We are keeping the pain at bay, but she is just uncomfortable.  This is before surgery.  We did explain to her what was going to happen.  She does much better having an idea, than going into this without explanation.  I owe it to her to be honest, but without being to scary and giving details.  



 This is where the doctor was getting the bone and bone marrow from.  


This is the xray of her teeth that made them choose the surgery sooner than later.  You can see her teeth are starting to come down.  I asked how long until the teeth erupted.  She said about 3-6 months.  I said "wow, that was quicker than I thought".  We kept talking and I realized the dr. meant erupting into the new graft, not erupting where I could see them.  She said that would still be a while.  This graft has to be there so the new teeth can grow down through and then erupt where I can see.  If this isnt done in time, then you would loose the new tooth.  Please know that I am not a doctor, this is what I have come to understand from my doctor.  


This is coming out of anesthesia.  Not very swollen.....yet.  She said day 3 would be the worst, then it would start to go down.  



Back in the room.  About 3 hours after surgery.  



This is by evening Day 1. :(  Swelling is starting



This is what she has to swish in her mouth with every time she eats, before and after.  It is not fun and quite hard for her as her mouth is so swollen she cant put her lips together.   We also can not understand her when she talks.  This is frustrating for her.  Honestly though, she is not talking much as it is just to uncomfortable for her.  She had a clear liquid diet for 24 hours.  A soft liquid diet (like soft milkshake for another 24 hours, then puree' for 6 weeks.  No jello or Popsicles.  Jello sometimes causes a person to suck on their palate to get it down and the doctor does not want to take any chances.  Popsicles are solid.  No blowing her nose either.



This is the retainer in her mouth.  She was supposed to leave this in for 2 weeks.  We would then go in and they would take it out.  It came out the first night home, much to my husbands and my horror.  We didnt know then if it would make the surgery unsuccessful or not.  We told her to keep it in with her tongue until we could get a hold of the doctor.  She was at some kind of event and called me. It was okay it had come out.  Not ideal but okay.  Its more a precautionary thing they do for the first while to ensure safety for the new area.  This is before she started swelling.  There is no way now she could open her mouth this far.  In fact she could barely get her mouth open enough to get the retainer out.  



By evening of day 1 she was quite swollen.  This is with her sister that got married on Saturday. 


We did get to go home the day after surgery.  She is on an antibiotic, mouth wash and oxycodone for pain. Plus she takes a nebulizer for her asthma and zyrtec.  They also wanting her to brush her bottom teeth and tongue 2 times a day.  It is not fun to do this.  So far we have only brushed the bottom teeth, not tongue. On the way home.



This is the area of the bone graft.  She put a liquid seal on it so that she could take a shower.  So far, she is not ready for one.  She will not stand on her leg (on the bone graft side).  Going to the bathroom is not fun. It hurts her.  



This is how she feels.  Praying she feels better soon.  People who cleft in is a minor need, have never had a cleft child. 

Look at the shine on her cheek.  That is how far the skin is stretched.  Her right eye is also swollen.   This is day 2 at home, watching episode two thousand and one of dragon tales......






1 comment:

  1. oh sweet thing! time, time, time! oh how i pray that time will fly for your sweet one. I will pray today. I hear ya 1000% when people say that cleft is minor I can hardly hold my tongue. Hang in there mama!

    ReplyDelete

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming, "Wow, what a ride!" Author unknown

Followers

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the Sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
~C.S. Lewis

143,000,000 ORPHANS:

It is estimated that between 143,000,000 and 210,000,000 children are orphans. That’s at least 143 MILLION children in the world today. (Recent UNICEF report.)

To give you an idea of the enormity of this need, keep in mind that the approximate population of the US is 300,000,000; and the population of Russia is 141,800,000.)

There are more orphans in Sub-Sahara Africa than ALL of the children
in Denmark, Ireland, Norway, Canada, and Sweden – combined!

.

.

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP