"The will of God-nothing less, nothing more, nothing else." F.E. Marsh



Saturday, August 6, 2011

Zeke





Is this the best smile ever?

Almost a year home.   Adjustment has not been as easy for a 4 year old as a younger one, or maybe they just show it better, because they can.  Learning to be in a family has been the one area that Zeke has struggled in, but now is embracing.   He sometimes will copy everything that a sibling is doing and that would bother that sibling.  We explained this to the rest of the kids and they understood and helped him out so much.  In fact Phoebe and Charis have loved pretending to be his teachers and he has thought that great.   He is learning so much, never have experienced a family atmosphere.   Learning that he can ask for anything he needs.  Realizing that he is free to get a drink and there will be food left for him.  He would eat so-so fast because I believe he wanted to make sure he got to eat and not have someone else take his food.  He has learned that I may leave for a short time, but I will come back for him.  He is very secure in this aspect now.  He is still afraid of Chinese people though.  I really do not think they treated him very well.  I know they didn’t treat him very nice when I was with him in China, I can only imagine him as a baby and young boy by himself.  He has learned that we love his elbow and that he doesn’t have to hide it.  When he gets upset, he will sometimes pull hard on his arm or flick it.  But he has come so far.  Having his big sister Charis and her limb difference has been the best thing in the world.  Sometimes they give each other high 5’s with their elbows. : )   His English is amazing.  It is funny sometimes when we encounter a new situation and we talk to him about it then he looks at us with this “what are you talking about look”.  We then explain it in words he knows, and then all is better.  His mind is a sponge.  I am glad he is learning how to speak clearly unlike the beginning when he was learning to speak from his cleft sister.  That was frustrating at times.  Now he knows Molly Mei needs speech to help her speak better (which we have been doing 3 times a week over the summer).   We really think he is probably a year older  than the date they gave him, but unlike Charis, we are not changing his birth date.  We have waited to do his re-adoption, just to make sure, but since he is a boy, having the extra time is only going to be in his favor.  The doctors have agreed.  Zeke still loves John Deere tractors and being outside.  The surgery to take out his tonsils has changed his sleeping drastically and he very seldom takes a nap now.   We are so glad he is our son and we love him so much.   If you have never adopted an older toddler, feel free to ask me any questions.  

1 comment:

  1. I linked on over from your comment on the Show Hope blog. Just wanted to say hello and that you have a beautiful family! (Annie- big sister to 6, 2 adopted from Taiwan)

    ReplyDelete

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming, "Wow, what a ride!" Author unknown

Followers

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the Sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
~C.S. Lewis

143,000,000 ORPHANS:

It is estimated that between 143,000,000 and 210,000,000 children are orphans. That’s at least 143 MILLION children in the world today. (Recent UNICEF report.)

To give you an idea of the enormity of this need, keep in mind that the approximate population of the US is 300,000,000; and the population of Russia is 141,800,000.)

There are more orphans in Sub-Sahara Africa than ALL of the children
in Denmark, Ireland, Norway, Canada, and Sweden – combined!

.

.

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP