"The will of God-nothing less, nothing more, nothing else." F.E. Marsh



Friday, October 19, 2012

The front door

Oh, I love our new front door.  We had a sliding door in our kitchen/dining room.  We (okay, I should say "I" because Torey was quite content leaving everything how it was) wanted to extend the kitchen counters out a ways and I figured putting in a door in place of the slider was the way to go. We went and looked at antique places for doors and found one we really liked, but it was over $400.00 and it didnt have the door casing.  We wanted a big door with lots of windows to let in lots of light.  This door fit all that, but the price tag was too much.  I started watching craigslist (almost everything is from craigslist in our house).  A few months later the SAME EXACT DOOR was posted on CL with the casing for $70.00!!! Only G*d would do that. It was an old antique door. (Which reminds me to tell you the story of our Jesus kitchen.  It is an amazing story of how God cares for us, even in the little details.)  

 I admit I get kind of restless if I am not in adoption mode and think of all these things we could do to the house.  Since we are not rolling in the dough, I am quite creative.  You should see the ideas in my head now.  I think Torey may faint over dead now if he knew. LOL.  He is a good sport though and had put a lot of work into the house this summer.  He does like it when it is done, just not the initial idea.  : )

This was the sliding door.


 Sliding door removed.



The Door casing before installation.


 The wonderful and lovely door.


Cutting out some of the header to fit the taller door in.


Installing the door casing.



Making sure it is level.  Notice the size difference.



Adding the door to the casing.  I am loving it already.


 Framing in the side of the door where the sliding glass door was.


Adding the insulation.



I love this big threshold on the bottom.  I love everything old house style with character, which this 70's house lacks.  It makes me happy to add features like this to our house.



The old glass door knob.  Who in their right mind would want to replace this door???



The almost finished door.  We got the molding up.  I just now need to touch it up.  : )  Notice also the mail slot on the left side of the door.  The little kids love to open it up and ask "Mom, can I ....?"




No comments:

Post a Comment

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming, "Wow, what a ride!" Author unknown

Followers

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the Sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
~C.S. Lewis

143,000,000 ORPHANS:

It is estimated that between 143,000,000 and 210,000,000 children are orphans. That’s at least 143 MILLION children in the world today. (Recent UNICEF report.)

To give you an idea of the enormity of this need, keep in mind that the approximate population of the US is 300,000,000; and the population of Russia is 141,800,000.)

There are more orphans in Sub-Sahara Africa than ALL of the children
in Denmark, Ireland, Norway, Canada, and Sweden – combined!

.

.

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP