Molly Mei had her cleft follow appointment today to see if her bone graft was successful....... It was not. There was very little bone growth. We will not know for sure for another 6 months or so, but as it stands now, she will need another bone graft surgery. I cried about this on the way home. She was so brave and did so well the first time. I do not have the heart to tell her and will not until we know 100%. I know she needs this to have her mouth as it needs to be, but my heart hurts for her. She has had so many surgeries between her cleft and her eyes. In fact, Tuesday we go to the specialist to check for glaucoma again. We also met with her speech therapist today. She has said many times that Molly Mei works extremely hard for her speech but it is just so difficult for her. She is learning to read and it is so hard. Her brain knows the word but her mouth and tongue have the hardest time getting the word out. I have been told by the doctors and therapist that most cleft cases are not like this. That brings me some hope if we receive a referral for a cleft child. When people say this is an easy need I just shake my head.
: ) I am so proud of her.
This is to remind you of what the first bone graft surgery was like.



No comments:
Post a Comment