"The will of God-nothing less, nothing more, nothing else." F.E. Marsh



Monday, March 14, 2011

Raggamuffin"s or not


I went outside and took a few pictures of the kids today.  We had no school because the power was out, which means no flushing toilets.  Not a good thing at a school.  It was not raining so I told them to go outside and play.  They all had play clothes and look like what I lovingly call raggamuffins.  So I thought I would be all cute and look up what it meant, and put the definition on here.  It was not in the Websters version, but it was on urban dictionary.  I was taken aback by what it said. 

Ragga is the short form of raggamuffin, a term which held its present musical connotations since the late 1980s or beginning of 1990s. The term raggamuffin is derived from the Middle English personal name "Ragamuffyn", which was usually employed in an insulting manner towards street children. The word later came to mean a person who is shabbily clothed and dirty, often applied to orphans. It was used in this way to describe Kingston ghetto youth, and the youth themselves took on the term to describe their new music.




I don't think I will use that term anymore.  I am not one to be politically correct, but I don't ever want to say something to my children that can be taken to be mean or cruel,  ever.   I want to say words that will edify and lift them up.  Words that correct them when they need it, words that will teach them about Jesus, words that will let them know I love them, but not words that can hurt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming, "Wow, what a ride!" Author unknown

Followers

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the Sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
~C.S. Lewis

143,000,000 ORPHANS:

It is estimated that between 143,000,000 and 210,000,000 children are orphans. That’s at least 143 MILLION children in the world today. (Recent UNICEF report.)

To give you an idea of the enormity of this need, keep in mind that the approximate population of the US is 300,000,000; and the population of Russia is 141,800,000.)

There are more orphans in Sub-Sahara Africa than ALL of the children
in Denmark, Ireland, Norway, Canada, and Sweden – combined!

.

.

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP